Repurposing the omnipresent portable device, Alter is an audio-visual installation for 16 iPads and 16 people in a delicate meditation on invisible systems and interconnectedness. Bodies, light and space are threaded together in this intimate sensory encounter. Created by Tamara Saulwick in collaboration with Peter Knight, Martyn Coutts and Steve Berrick, Alter creates a pocket in time for the act of collective listening and contemplation.
Concept/creation/visuals:Tamara Saulwick Composition: Peter Knight Dramaturgy: Martyn Coutts System design: Steve Berrick Film footage: Scott Morrison & Tamara Saulwick
- Festival of Live Art, Arts House, Melbourne 2016
- North Melbourne Town Hall, Arts House, Melbourne 2017
- Ullens Centre for Contemporary Art (UCCA), Beijing China, 2018
- Xi'an International Studies University,Xi'an, China 2018
- FlashMob Space, West Village, Chengdu China 2018
- Grand Theater, Nanfang College of Sun Yat-Sen University, Guangzhou, China 2018
- Dance Center, East China Normal University, Shanghai, China 2018
Alter was commissioned by Arts House as part of the In Your Hands series supported through the Australia Council's Digital Theatre Initiative.